Sunday, February 15, 2015

Tips on Passing NCLEX...your 1st time!

Who's afraid of the big bad "NCLEX".. from the time you start nursing school, you know what the future holds after passing all your classes and graduating..because the battle STILL isn't won yet. It's not over until you take that dreadful NCLEX and PASS. The NCLEX uses Complex Adaptive Testing (CAT) to administer the exam. CAT is a method for administering exams that merges computer technology with modern measurement theory to increase the efficiency of the exam process. Click here for more details on CAT and what to expect the day of your test!

Just recently, the NCLEX made changes to the NCLEX-RN which now consists of more SATA (select all that apply) style questions. The NCSBN reviews the test plans for both the NCLEX-RN and NCLEX-PN once every three years. The recommended changes to the 2013 NCLEX-RN Test Plan are based upon empirical data collected from newly licensed nurses, which can be found in the study published by NCSBN entitled Report of Findings from the 2011 Practice Analysis: Linking the NCLEX-RN Examination to Practice (ncsbn.org, 2015). You will never "feel" ready for NCLEX, let me tell you now.. I don't think anyone ever does lol the key is to believe in yourself and remain confident that you can pass.. I recently passed NCLEX ((last month on this day to be exact)) so you can do this! I just wanted to give a few tips below on what helped me pass NCLEX-RN on my first try. They worked for me, maybe they'll work for you too:

1. Don't start studying until AFTER you finish nursing school. I bought an NCLEX book my first year of nursing school with the idea that maybe if I study throughout, I'll actually feel "ready" for NCLEX when I graduate....NOT! lol--save yourself the trouble. Focus on finishing nursing school then study for NCLEX..you'll have plenty of time after you graduate--trust me!

2. Choose a NCLEX test book or prep class and stick to it. It's never a good idea to take on more than one study prep book or material. Find out what works for you and use that one method. Taking on many different methods can be overwhelming and will make you feel like you aren't retaining anything. For example: I purchased the Saunders NCLEX prep book, which was a great tool for practicing questions, in my opinion, but it wasn't what I was looking for content-wise. Saunders was  a studying aid that was more in-depth and I wanted to study something that was more succinct yet comprehensive with good test taking strategies ((my struggle)). I ended up going with the HURST review prep course because it did just that.. gave me a comprehensive review minus all the extra detail Saunder had along with great test-taking strategies. I'm not saying this is for you but find what is, and stick with it!

3. The NCLEX is all about SAFETY. When in doubt, look for the answer that will or won't kill the patient! It all depends on what the question is asking you but the NCLEX is testing you based on safety. If you keep this in mind while taking the test the answer becomes a lot more clear than the one's we engraved in our minds from nursing school.

4. Don't read INTO the question. Focus on the stem of the questions and the type of questions they are asking you.. whether it's safety, priority etc and tune in to key words such as: "all except","what's most important" or what would you do FIRST"when reading the question. They put certain details in the question for a reason but look no further or deeper than that.

5. Stay calm, get a full night's rest the night before and eat breakfast. I know during nursing school it was easy to stay up and cram the night before exams but do NOT try that with the NCLEX. I didn't study AT ALL the day before my scheduled date to help calm my nerves and clear my head so I could focus day of. Rest is very important for recall..though you will be anxious and it will be hard to fall asleep but try to get as much rest as you can. Also be sure to eat a full breakfast! Yes.. it is very possible it might come out one end before you test ((joking....maybe lol)) BUT your brain needs all the carbs and energy it can get for this 6 hour exam. 




(Disclaimer: The suggestions, advice and recommendations described on this blog (sicunurse.blogspot.com) are based on my personal opinions and are not factual).

No comments:

Post a Comment