Tuesday, March 10, 2015

TGI'm getting the hang of this!

Week 3 on the unit..COMPLETED! I have been on the unit a total of 8 days and literally.. learning something new. on. each. day. These first few weeks have been a mixture of new grad orientation, critical EeMR classes and being on the unit. As a new grad, I also have to complete critical care courses that are part of my residency completion such as: ECCO/hemodynamic monitoring, CRRT, dysrhythmias EKG and a few other topics. I will start those classes next week so I'll tell you all about it in my next post. Until then, enjoy the GIF stories of this weeks events!

                                              "Waking up for work"

Lesson learned: I'm just not a 'hear-your-alarm-and-hop-right-out-of-bed' person. So, until I am in my car heading to work with music blasting...I am still SLEEP! End of story! 


                                     "New grad life AKA My Life"


Lesson learned: Well this is pretty self-explanatory haha! As a new grad in the ICU, you must have patience and be well aware of the fact that, there is a STEEP learning curve. I literally learn something new every day! Realistically, you probably won't feel comfortable until you reach that '1 year' mark and that's ok!

     
                                   "The good ol' days!"

Lesson learned: Sighssssss I remember it like it was yesterday! Cheers to YOU student nurses! For the long, HARD but rewarding journey you have begun. You can do it!

                          
"When the older ICU nurses tell some medical joke that goes way over my head"

             Lesson learned: No lesson learned here ((haha!)) this was just funny to me because I definitely missed the memo! One day, I'm sure I'll look back at this moment and laugh ..but until then, I'm not even going to pretend like I 'got the joke' ((haha!!))


                                        "Titrating for the first time"

Lesson learned: Now this was a concept that puzzled me most in nursing school during my critical care rotation..mainly because there was no way in hell the ICU nurses were going to let me, the nursing student, touch their pumps & titrate ((totally understandable). Titrating is basically adjusting the dose on the IV pump (pressors aka BP meds or sedation usually) according to what your patient is doing, hemodynamically or physically, the key is to be safe while doing it. An with that said..can we say AUTONOMY?! 

"When one of my fellow nurses grabs my patient's medications from the tube system that I've been waiting for and drops it off to my room" 


Lesson learned: If you see a medication or any other items drop in from the tubing system..GRAB THEM! Take it out and place it in the collection bin OR give it to the nurse if you see him or her. It's always appreciated!

                    "When I receive an admission at 1800"

 Lesson learned: No one likes receiving an admission so close to shift change because you are less likely to leave work at a reasonable time...SO, to make your admission process smoother, check your room BEFORE the patient arrives and restock all supplies that may be missing. Also, try to take care of all tasks and medications with your other patient so you aren't playing 'catch up'.


                                       "Before Friday"


"After Friday"

              Lesson learned: Nothing like getting your first paycheck! That is all! :-)


                          "Leaving the unit on week 3"

Lesson learned: Each day gets easier and something new finally CLICKS in my head! ((haha!))

 
  (Disclaimer: The clinical suggestions, advice and recommendations described on sicunurse.blogspot.com are based on my personal opinions and are not medical advice. The content is for entertainment purposes only. I, surgicalnurse.blogspot.com, do not own, nor did I create any of the animations above. I did create the captions written above and below them, customizing them to my experiences along with learning tips I have found helpful in my practice).

1 comment: