Saturday, April 18, 2015

CRRT, CVVHDF & ARF...Oh my!!

In addition to ECCO, we learned how to run Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT)... In our unit, we are trained to independently use CRRT machines with patients who may require treatment. What is CRRT you ask? In short, it is typically used in a critical care setting for patients who suffer from acute renal failure (ARF), so in other words, it temporarily acts as the body's 'mechanical kidneys' until kidney function is restored. It filters toxins and replaces any depleted electrolytes through diffusion (movement of solutes from area of high concentration to low), convection (solute drag=movement of solutes with water) and ultrafiltration (movement of fluid through a semipermeable membrane). Some indications for using CRRT are hyperkalemia, toxin removal or volume overload. It has four main modes of treatment: CVVHDF, CVVHD, CVVH, SCUF and can run continuously over 72 hours. Patients on this machine usually require 1:1 care because the machine must be monitored closely for any adjustments or changes in the patients care. To learn more about CRRT and the machine we use on my unit click here.

"How I felt after learning how to work a CRRT machine"




(Disclaimer: The clinical suggestions, advice and recommendations described on sicunurse.blogspot.com are based on my personal opinions and are not medical advice. The content is for entertainment purposes only. I, surgicalnurse.blogspot.com, do not own, nor did I create any of the animations above. I did create the captions written above and below them, customizing them to my experiences along with learning tips I have found helpful in my practice).

1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff from a new RN on the front lines... Keep it coming -

    ReplyDelete