Saturday, April 18, 2015

ECCO not ECHO!

This week I finished ECCO AKA my critical care orientation.. ECCO is the critical care orientation required for new graduates in our residency program. It involves online modules that allow new ICU nurses a more in-depth explanation of different conditions (Shock, sepsis, acute renal failure, etc.), procedures (moderate sedation, central line dressing changes etc.), and equipment (hemodynamic monitoring, chest tubes, ventilators etc.) frequently used in a critical care setting. The orientation is about a month long with about ten different modules provided by the American Association of Critical Care Nursing. While completing these modules, I am still required to perform 24 clinical hours on the floor each week. 
                                           
                 "After completing my last module!"


Upon completion, each module counts towards 2.0 continuing education (CE) credit. Next year, a certain number of these credits will be a requirement for registered nurses (RN's) to obtain annually. The requirements differ state to state but, to learn more about CE requirements for RN's in the state of Georgia, click here.

To help with the huge learning curve in critical care, I purchased "The ICU Book" by Paul Marino because I've heard it is a great resource for new critical care nurses. It gives the in-depth pathophysiology of different pathways and interventions used in an ICU setting.

               "New critical care nurses be like"




(Disclaimer: The clinical suggestions, advice and recommendations described on sicunurse.blogspot.com are based on my personal opinions and are not medical advice. The content is for entertainment purposes only. I, surgicalnurse.blogspot.com, do not own, nor did I create any of the animations above. I did create the captions written above and below them, customizing them to my experiences along with learning tips I have found helpful in my practice).

No comments:

Post a Comment