Thursday, April 30, 2015

Interviewing Tips!

So you've just graduated from nursing school (HUGE CONGRATS!). . .now the REAL work begins. . .from studying for the NCLEX to filling out job applications and last but not least---interviewing, interviewing and MORE interviewing!! As a new nurse, I have not forgotten the fear, anxiety and anticipation associated with going on your first interview for a position as a Registered Nurse. It is easy to feel discouraged when you are rejected from this place, that place AND that place! But keep your head up, stay focused and be PERSISTENT! You will find a job! In the meantime, I am going to share some tips that helped me land a position in the ICU!

1. Show no fear--you got this!
During an interview for the ICU or any area really you are typically asked general questions like: why critical care and how do you handle stress? You may also have some questions specifically in regards to the hospital or facility you are applying to and few situational questions in regards to teamwork, time management and solving conflict scenarios. There's no rocket science here! Just do your research and practice answering different situational questions. There are tons of these type of posts online if you need practice in this area. 

2. Be honest!
 Lets not forget the almighty strengths and weakness question! One important thing to remember with this question is to be honest and realistic.. for example, PLEASE do not give the played out 'weakness-but-still-strength-answer of--> "My weakness is I'm a perfectionist etc etc..." because that's really not a weakness and is used by... hmmm.. everybody! Managers like to hear REAL weaknesses like 'I'm not good a delegating (which is fine you are NEW)' or 'I'd like to work on my critical thinking skills (also FINE these things take time to  develop).. just take some time to self-reflect and be honest above all. 
  
3. Don't overthink it!
As a NEW nurse, the most important concept to remember when interviewing for an ICU or anywhere for that matter is managers don't want someone who thinks they "know it all" because that will for sure get you a rejection.. what they do look for is someone who is open, eager to learn and easy to work with so they can mold you into their own "competent-critical-thinking-nurse"! Last but not least always arrive early and come dressed professionally! You can do this! Goodluck!


                  "How I looked during my first interview!"




(Disclaimer: The clinical suggestions, advice and recommendations described on sicunurse.blogspot.com are based on my personal opinions and are not medical advice. The content is for entertainment purposes only. I, surgicalnurse.blogspot.com, do not own, nor did I create any of the animations above. I did create the captions written above and below them, customizing them to my experiences along with learning tips I have found helpful in my practice).

No comments:

Post a Comment