Wednesday, April 29, 2015

ECGs & P-QRS-Ts!

This week marks the start of our Dysrhythmia course. . .AKA learning how to read the squiggly lines you see on the monitor or red graph paper in the hospital. In short, an Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) records the electrical activity of the heart through placement of leads that attach to little stickers called electrodes. At my nursing school, I am glad we were required to know the basics of how to read an ECG before starting our last semester. It makes this course a lot LESS intimidating. ECG readings vary based on their rate, rhythm and regularity. When an ECG is abnormal it is called a dysrhythmia. There are several types of dysrhythmias that can occur, hence the purpose of this course, which is why it is important for critical care nurses to learn how to read an ECG. In this introductory course, we are only required to know how to read ECG's in two leads, V1 and Lead II (most popular). In a critical care setting, heart activity is constantly being watched through a 5-lead bedside monitor so any abnormal rhythms can be identified immediately. A 12-lead ECG might be required if there is an abnormality detected in a 5-lead. 12-lead ECGs give a more detailed picture of what is going on with the heart. Practice reading ECG strips by clicking the link labeled "ECGs easy as 1-2-3" to the left of this post if you're up for the challenge!

"A, B, C, D. .P - Q R S - T. .U, V, W, X, Y and Z"

 "When my patients ECG converts from normal sinus to A.fib w/RVR at shift change"



(Disclaimer: The clinical suggestions, advice and recommendations described on sicunurse.blogspot.com are based on my personal opinions and are not medical advice. The content is for entertainment purposes only. I, surgicalnurse.blogspot.com, do not own, nor did I create any of the animations above. I did create the captions written above and below them, customizing them to my experiences along with learning tips I have found helpful in my practice).

6 comments:

  1. I actually understood that explanation! I must be improving...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let it be new onset... 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It totally was this day AT shift change lol smh

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Lex!! So proud of you. Love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete