Wednesday, July 1, 2015

It's the first of the month!

Well it's July 1st AKA 'fresh-new-residents-on-the-unit' day... Every July, medical residents who have just graduated from medical school come to the unit and begin learning how to become safe, competent physicians ((how exciting scary!)). Though I am new as well, I soon learned exactly what that meant! For new residents, there is a knowledge deficit between what was learned the past four year in BOOKS vs what needs to occur in REAL LIFE.. so as the nurse you have much more 'hands on' experience and a much broader knowledge base than a first-year resident so you have to be patient and in some situations, guide the residents.. one might not know how to write an order.. or what to do in emergency situations.. and that is where you step in!!

"How the new residents look walking into a patients room before  morning rounds"


Be that 'helpful nurse' to the resident, not the mean 
'learn how to do it yourself' nurse!



 "When I ask the resident to order a PCA for my fresh surgical patient and they tell me they don't know how to"



No worries! I'll just ask the pharmacist



"When the resident wants me to take restraints off my patient with hepatic encephalopathy 
because they are calm at the present moment"
 It only takes one tug at that A-line OR unbridled DHT 
for real issues to arise.. just trust me, lets not!



"Me: So what do you think we should do about the patient's declining respiratory status?"

                                                                          (Resident)

 Oh okay well take a look at their last ABG.. I think we should intubate STAT!


(Disclaimer: The clinical suggestions, advice and recommendations described on sicunurse.blogspot.com are based on my personal opinions and are not medical advice. The content is for entertainment purposes only. I, surgicalnurse.blogspot.com, do not own, nor did I create any of the animations above. I did create the captions written above and below them, customizing them to my experiences along with learning tips I have found helpful in my practice).

No comments:

Post a Comment